Thursday, April 9, 2009

Good friends

Day 98.

Wednesday, April 8th, 2009

I am in Indiana with my best friend from college, Emily, and her two kiddos Olivia and Elyse (we met up at her parent's house in Middlebury). It's so fun reminiscing about old times, but didn't get much time for that until the kiddos were all FOUR in bed. It's amazing what 7 years can do to you...seven short years ago Em and I were living together...and living a totally different life. Now, we're essentially living very much the same life still...just hundreds of miles away from each other.

I am grateful for longtime friendships.

Most of my current, local friends I only met because of my kids. It was pregnancy, birth, or mommyhood that brought me to them. And God love you all - because you get me through life. But there is something different about friends with kids who you also knew PRE-kids. You have a different level of personal connection - like: you knew me before I listened to elmo songs in the car, wiped butts all day long, and woke up at 5:30. Remember when I used to be "cool?"

Ok, so maybe I wasn't ever cool. It doesn't really matter now. But, it does matter to have these deep connections with people - people that remember you devastated over not getting into the school musical. People that remember your onion dare. People that remember you as a marathon runner. People that remember you going to concerts. Heck...people that remember you listening to cool music.

I definitely don't wish I was back in college - I'm extremely graeful for my life and the journey I am on. But, I do miss those relationships...and I miss the Spontaneous College Hilary...which has somewhat morphed into the Responsible Mother Hilary (most of the time).

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, so true! Great post Hilary! BTW, I still think you're cool... even though you do listen to Elmo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think you are cool, too. And I am sure that "Spontaneous College Hilary" has come in handy when having to be spontaneously creative as a Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cherish the friendship that we had then and I am thankful for what we're able to share now that we have kids! And...you're still one of the coolest people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary! What a great post. I love it, and I also love the fact that I've known you for a long time too! You rock, either way, with or without kids, so keep on, sister, keep on! Love you! -Jen Kauffman

    ReplyDelete