Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day 280.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009.

I really wanted to go see Children's Poet Laureate, Mary Ann Hoberman, tonight. She was reciting poetry in hyde park - an event especially for children - only about a mile from our house. It felt like a no-brainer and something I really wanted for my kids to be at.

I am grateful I listened to my daughter (by way of my husband).

Dylan has been playing really nicely at home lately. She gets into the grooves where she just plays and plays and is so happy and interested in what she is doing and even fun things we have to go do - are disruptive. So, when I announced that we were going to this, she was negative about it. Jason happened to be home for a moment before he headed out for grad school, and he offhandedly commented, "Dylan might just want to stay home." Something about that clicked for me in that moment, and I knew he was right. So, I immediately adjusted my own expectations and canceled our plans. I knew it was really me that wanted to go - not my kids. And that they would be just as pleased (more pleased) with staying home, playing together and taking a bath.

So, that's what we did. It was a nice evening, and instead of rushing around (like I was trying to avoid only a few weeks ago...amazing how quickly I can rev up our schedule again when given the opportunity!) - we stayed home and enjoyed each other. Who needs Mary Ann Hoberman in real life when her books will suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment