Monday, March 23, 2009

History Lesson

Day 81.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tonight I put some pictures in frames that I got from a former Bradley student who works at the Chicago History Museum. She sent them in part of a bartering system we worked out to pay for part of the childbirth class.

And they are so cool.

I am grateful for historic Chicago.

One of the pictures she gave us is the Museum of Science and Industry from 1921, which is two blocks from our home. We take the kids there all the time, and to have it now framed is really neat. I love that the building is the former Palace of Fine Arts from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition (also known as the Chicago World's Fair). Devil in the White City anyone? The building didn't become the MSI until 1933.

Chicago is such a wonderful place to explore history. I've never been so into the distant past before. It seemed too removed from me, and uninteresting as a child. But I find myself enjoying history and history museums, and just finding general information about historic Chicago fascinating. It's fun to live in a place with a magnificent past.

No comments:

Post a Comment