Thursday, March 26, 2009

Little Boy Blue on my plate

Day 84.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009.

When I moved away from home and went to Goshen College 11 years ago, some family friends consistently had me (and my older sister, a junior then at the same college) over for dinner to their house. It was a comforting ritual that really made me feel more at home at college - knowing I could come over for a home-cooked meal at their house every once in awhile. Thanks Meyer-Reimers.

And what did we eat?

I am grateful for haystacks.

I don't know if the nostalgia of having these trumps the flavor or vice-versa, but I love haystacks. To me, they are the perfect meal - easy to prepare, everyone gets exactly what they like, and it's delicious!

Never had a haystack before?
Put out a bunch of bowls and fill them with: rice, taco meat, shredded cheese, tomatoes, onions (green onions are my fave) olives, sour cream (or plain yogurt), beans (canned - we usually do black and kidney), salsa and lettuce. Then crush up some tortilla chips on top and pour western dressing on it (this is of course optional, as everything else is, but this is my FAVE part).
Eat happily and then get seconds.

We had haystacks tonight at my parent's house. And yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment